"We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect." — Anaïs Nin

Maybe I'll change someone's world with these words. You never know.

Monday, January 4, 2010

The Gentle Art Of Domesticity

Lately, I've been thumbing through "The Gentle Art Of Domesticity" by Jane Brocket. I have come across some awesome parts that I just HAVE to share with all of you.

"Inspiration is inspiration, whether the end result is a painted masterpiece, a soul-searching sonnet, a richly colored homemade quilt or a batch of freshly baked scones."

"I'm not a vain person, but I do like my hands. In fact, I am very proud of them. I like the way they knead dough, create stitches, hold yarn, thread needles, sort beads and buttons and deal with fiddly sewing-machine parts. Sometimes I watch them as if they don't quite belong to me and am secretly delighted when they seem to know what to do. They may not be able to play the piano, make lace or spin sugar, but most of the time, they do what I need them to do."

"There is something quite magical about sitting around a table with a group of chatty, engaging, sociable knitters who all seem to have an opinion on everything from movies to opera, restaurants to cafes, books to gossip, film stars to soap stars."

"Every project or creation has its own mode of repetition sandwiched in between the excitement of starting and the delight in finishing."

1 comment:

kuna granny said...

Oh so very wise! I so very much agree! Inspiration is inspiration! Appreciate the smallest of AND the greatest of our blessings! I love to live in "The Additude of Graditude" as often as I am able to stay focused on this very concept. Thanks for sharing!